Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My Kitty Just Turned Eight



No, it's not a cat but my darling daughter, Kitty who just turned 8 yesterday...





No, it's not a cat but my darling daughter, Kitty who just turned 8. :) My pride and joy just had her birthday yesterday and I must say, even if she didn’t throw a party, we celebrated it just the way she wants.

The night before her birthday, Kitty told me she wanted to get the doll we used to visit while we were strolling at the town after our dance class, a pair of love birds, a skateboard and a Gameboy DS. As I leave their room she then said “Don’t forget to remind Uncle Eddie my hamster too, okay?” Geez, even if I could, I wouldn’t buy her/them all those stuff even if it’s her birthday because I don’t want to spoil them with material things unlike what other parents do to their children. I want them to be contented and be happy on what I can give them and what they have.

The morning of her birthday, I have her dream doll on the table waiting for her to wake up. And she was surprised and was happy seeing that. She then named it “Violet”. :) Knowing Kitty, she used her charms in convincing her Grandmother to give her a skateboard, which my mom, of course, can’t resist. Her brother got a new skateboard too as a Christmas present. I also found out just now that she even enticed her brother into giving her a present, which is really unlikely for her brother to be sweet to her like that.

After a long day, while walking at the park, I asked her if she had a happy birthday and answered me with “Yes, mommy. That’s what birthdays are for, to be happy isn’t? And that’s why they call it happy birthday, right?” I smiled to her and agreed with a nod.

Today, just before writing this one, I asked them to take a nap and they said no, let’s play first. And so we played--- pillow fight, mommy’s drunk act, making faces, tickling, and giggling all the way through their silliest questions. Here are some though:

• “Mommy, if there are lovebirds then there could be hatebirds too, right? What do they look like?”
• I want a Gameboy, but I am a girl, is there a gamegirl too?
• “Mommy, where do the turtles eat, inside their house or outside?” I answered with “hmm easy! If they’re eating inside their house it’s called dine-in and if they’re eating outside their house, it’s called take-out”

These are some of the questions they ask, I forgot the other ones but sure will post them when I recall some. I'm gonna leave you some ways on how to bond with your children through practicing humor. Researchers say practice sharpens a person's wit, so here are eight ways to practice being funny with your kids.

1. Keep a journal of ridiculous things that happen to your family.
2. Buy goofy joke books. Laugh while your kids read the jokes to you.
3. Encourage your kids to cut out and share their favorite newspaper comics.
4. White-out the captions of cartoons and have your kids write their own.
5. When you're under stress, look for the lighter side. Play a game of "it could be worse" and exaggerate all the possible outcomes.
6. Develop a playful reaction to a problem. You'll be spending more time laughing and less time in conflict.
7. Point out verbal humor like puns and oxymorons.
8. Keep a "lighten up" prop, like fake glasses and a nose, to do when things get tensed.

No comments: